High dose, 5 mg methylated folate, as the all natural 6S isomer.
L-5-MTHF is a safe and effective way to increase the body’s folate levels. It is especially helpful for patients with demonstrated increased need for folate such as those with either the A1298C or C677T MTHFR mutation. L-5-MTHF 5 mg should be considered when high doses of folate are needed.
Individuals who have tested homozygous with either the A1298C or C677T MTHFR mutation, or those with elevated homocysteine levels, should be using L-5-MTHF as the preferred form of folate supplementation. This will be more effective for them than other forms of folic acid or folates.
Others who may benefit from L-5-MTHF:
- Pregnant women and women wishing to become pregnant who have familial history of depression, high homocysteine levels, or genetic defect in MTHFR
- Women with abnormal pap smears (precancerous)
- Those with very high homocysteine levels
- Dialysis patients
- Organic acid testing that reveals elevated FIGLU (marker used to identify folate deficiency)
- Patients with family history of dementia/vascular dementia
- Patients with depression
- Long-term alcoholism
- Patients with fibromyalgia pain
Those looking for vitamins for more energy and cognition
Long-term use of oral contraceptives, and persistent use of medications to lower folate levels, including high doses of NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen; anticonvulsants (phenytoin, phenobarbital, and primidone); trimethoprim (antibiotic), pyrimethamine (antimalarial), triamterene (blood pressure med.) and sulfasalazine (treatment for ulcerative colitis).
Do not take 5-MTHF simultaneously with the cholesterol-lowering agents cholestyramine or colestipol because they may decrease the absorption of folate.